Sunday 20 January 2013

Put Some New Shoes On.

So, the Wife likes shoes. There's a surprise. Here are some shoes that I made for her as a Christmas present.
Inspired by the television show The Big Bang Theory and slightly amended from the original. This is how I went about painting them.







The Platform Stiletto shoes were bought from a shop in Meadowhall.
They were suede and two different shades of pink. I brushed and buffed the surface of the shoes until the surface of thew suede was smooth enough and ready to be painted, then I filled the inside of the shoe
with screwed up newspaper. (I used the sports pages from the Saturday edition of The Times because really; who cares!)
I masked the top half of the shoes leaving only the bottom half to be painted yellow.


Using acrylic yellow gloss spray paint the shoes were given their first coat of paint. The suede absorbed the first coat of paint very well. It took 7 coats in total to get a good finish.













Once the bottom half of the shoes were done it was time for the crimson top half. I used the same routine as before. I masked off the area I didn't want to paint and sprayed the shoes using acrylic crimson gloss spray paint. In order to reduce any potential leakage into the masked area I hung the shoes vertically by the stiletto heel and attached half of a cocktail stick to the very front of the shoe to give the excess paint a place to run off.
Given that the crimson coat was going on top of a pink colour there was not as many coats needed as there was for the yellow. Only five coats of crimson was required.







With the yellow and crimson coats on, some detail needed to be added. White gloss acrylic paint applied with Starbucks nail art brushes did the trick.
Some minor crimson seepage onto the yellow coat needed to be fixed too.





Some additional detail added with black gloss acrylic paint.







The lettering was the next step. I used the same yellow gloss acrylic spray paint sprayed into the lid of a container and applied using the nail art brushes donated by Starbuck.













The next level of detail included using the crimson paint to add a fade effect to the lettering and a black outline. The tribal design at the heel of the right shoe is a copy of the tattoo I have on my left arm.






Additional cloud detail added with some grey outline and detail given to the "character" at the heel of the shoe.












The final touches added to the "character" at the heel of the shoe. Handsome chap eh?










The completed project. Starbuck was very pleased with them.

8 comments:

  1. I love them. You are the best. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them. They are however the only pair I made and my Wife likes them too! Thanks for looking though. I will direct my Wife towards your blog which looks like something she may like even though it is all in Austrian! Take care now.

      Delete
  3. I may have to try this myself... thanks for showing us how you did this!

    ReplyDelete