Friday 3 August 2012

Friday Favourites #3

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully, watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible, logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, clinical, intellectual, cynical.








Not that it needs any further introduction at this point but, "The Logical Song" by Supertramp is one of my favorite songs of all time. The song conveys the transition from childhood to adulthood in such a way as it could be considered quite jarring, yet it would defy anyone to challenge the songs premise. The song takes the epitome of childhood and adulthood states and crams them together in the opening verse in such stark contrast that the message is unmistakable and obvious. Anybody listening to the lyrics of the song or even just reading them up there^ could easily catch themselves muttering 'Yeah' in agreement and wistfully reminiscing over bygone days. It is perhaps the contrast that makes the song so poignant. We all know that children are innocent and joyful and that adults are responsible and cynical. Why write an entire song about such obvious stuff? Nobody ever wrote a song called "Water Is Wet" or "The Sky Is Blue", apart from Irving Berlin maybe, with "Blue Skies." which is also a favourite of mine. But it is because typically, such opposing states of being are only ever experienced separated by seemingly vast periods of time. The childhood state fades into the past and adulthood creeps upon us slowly until everything is just rubbish. The opening verse of "The Logical Song" takes out all of the middle ground, turns the vivid contrast up to eleven and Pow! Suddenly you remember that you were a child before and you used to think everything was amazing and magical.

Supertramp recorded "The Logical Song" in 1978 and released the song in June 1979. I would have been three years of age at the time. I probably wasn't into the progressive rock scene in a big way back then but I did know somebody who was. It was only a few weeks ago when this song started playing on my phone's media player. I'd hit random shuffle on all tracks. I immediately recognized the song as childhood memories came flooding back to me. Not because of the lyrics though, the song was barely a few bars in. I could have named that tune in 3! I was transported, in my head back to the latter half of the 1980's to a terraced house in Dresden. Spending days with my Father going through his rather extensive collection of vinyl records, him telling me about the bands and the music. Why it was called Progressive Rock and what the difference was between Progressive Rock and Rock. He was always so enthusiastic and passionate about it. He still is. I have my Father to thank for having such selective yet eclectic tastes in music. Though to this day we argue about whether The Beatles were the greatest band ever. The argument rages each time up to the point where I have to concede by offering "I guess you had to be there!". He always accepts this with a chuckle and the argument is set aside until next  time.

I recall listening to many Supertramp songs but "The Logical Song" remains a firm favourite. Even as a young boy, the lyrics held a certain amount of meaning to me. There was no way I could have fully understood what the song was going on about. I was a child, I'd only ever experienced a childhood state but it was as if the song was the herald of a dark and ominous unknown future telling it's tale through the medium of bright and dynamic progressive rock. I have since come to learn that the song was written as a condemnation of the state of the education system at the time but clearly the song transcends time and generations. In my own opinion the song will continue to be as relevant to future generations as it was in the 1970's. The first four lines of the song are as timeless as song lyrics can get. So, brushing aside the reverie of childhood memories of everything being magical and wonderful. Here's to Supertramp and "The Logical Song" for showing us that while a child's eye can be blurred by state education and conditioning, it only takes one verse of a brilliant song to refocus and see that there are still birds singing in the tree's. Happily and joyfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment