Tuesday 11 September 2012

Yahtzee

Presented with a challenge by the Numberphiles, my son and I embark upon a long and arduous journey. With the odds stacked against us, preparations completed and precautionary measures in place, we bravely take the first step on this voyage into the unknown.
Now, I say "unknown" but what I actually mean is "known". The entire task was known, as were the odds. The only unknown quantity were the results of the exercise.

Read on after the jump to find out what I'm on about....








We had set out to roll a yahtzee which is five dice rolled together resulting in the same number shown on all five dice. The odds of this occurring are 1/1296. At first I intended to roll the dice until a yahtzee was rolled by myself or The Bear but it soon became an exercise to see how many times a yahtzee could be rolled within the odds of 1/1296. The results were unbelievable.
Now this time, I say "unbelievable" but I do, on this occasion mean nothing more than "entirely believable".
The Bear and I took turns rolling the dice, recording the progress of the task with a counter and of course, video.

The entire exercise of rolling five dice 1296 times took approximately 2 hours. The video shows some of the highlights of the endeavor.
Yes, highlights. I don't want to be spoiling the video for you but the highlights include; the beginning of the task, The Bear rolling 4 of a kind, the occasional full house or straight, my mini mental meltdown during the 300's rolls where I attempt to find patterns in the numbers rolled on the dice that correspond to the number of the roll, a yahtzee or two (maybe, maybe not.) and of course the thrilling conclusion to the exercise.

Did we defy the odds in any way?
Did we roll more than one yahtzee in 1296 rolls or did we not even roll 1?
Take a look at the video to find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment