Sunday 26 February 2012

Uncharted 2. Revisiting a modern masterpiece. (originally published 26/06/2011)



I recently decided to revisit Uncharted 2 multiplayer after an absence from the game for some considerable time. Jumping straight back into it was not as easy as I had expected but was inevitably worthwhile. Here is how it went.

 It has been ages since I played Uncharted 2. I had previously completed the game and played a few multiplayer games but that was before my launch day 60gb PS3 had to be sent for repair for a second time. Since that happened I got rid of the old Phatty and opted for a younger slimmer model instead. This was a year ago. Today I decided to give UC2 online another go as I remember it being a lot of fun. So after downloading and installing 9 updates and waiting for 5 minutes to get the online profile set up I was away. Throw a grenade, jump, fire rifle, duck into cover. Thats the basics down, lets go. The first thing I did was run straight at the enemy who was unloading a clip in my direction but not accurately enough to do any real damage. "He's having it!" I thought, jabbing at the circle button. "Hit him! Hit him!" I cried "Why are you just jumping around?" "Oh wait, square is melee, circle is cover!" Luckily, because I had been diving around all over the place the emeny I was fighting could not get a bead on me and I managed to crack him a good one with the rifle butt in his face. Score 1, We're back baby!


The next 5 minutes of the game was spent exchanging random gunfire, lobbing grenades, ducking in and out of cover but all to no avail. I was getting killed frequently while chasing down stray enemies and still only had the 1 kill. Then a breakthrough occurred. A guy runs out of a doorway just in front of me and goes for cover. I melee him straight away. "Damn, Wolfman just snapped my neck! Motherf#cker" remarked my victim who just happened to be the games top scorer. "Yeah I did!" I said "and there's more where that came from!". I didn't have my mic on but if I did it would have been awesome. So the guy crumples to the floor and the enemy indicator shows me there is someone approaching behind me. I drop a grenade and jump over the cover to leg it through a doorway. Boom! It was perfect timing, that guy was a goner. Through the doorway there's an enemy taking cover to the left. I unload a pistol clip into him. Man I am on a roll here! a grenade bouces off the wall next to me and goes off as I dive for the cover that my pistol just cleared. The screen goes black and white but I recover. I pop up with my rifle to scan the area, there's nobody there. I quickly move forward in and out of cover. "where the hell is everybody?!" I thought. I climb ledge and round a corner to see a fire fight going on just below me. I throw another grenade into the midst of the enemy forces. 3 of them scatter like the roaches that they are! The grenade explodes causing no damage whatsoever. I see that 2 of the enemies have taken cover elsewhere but in clear sight of my rifle. They must have thought the grenade came from the the enemies they were already engaging. I pick the first one off easily, the second goes down after a reload. I scan the area. There is nobody in sight so I push on. I approach the ledge to drop down only to to have someone reach up and pull me over to my death. "You's dead Wolfman! Hahaha." remarks my assailant. Revenge, it seems is a dish best served by surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment