Saturday 10 March 2012

My brain seems to be permanently wired towards video games.

It had been a horrendous week at work. One of the worst weeks I had experienced in my current job. My faith in humanity had been depleted even further than usual and hope for any kind of future, let alone a bright one was gone. But, that week was over. It was the weekend and Saturday being the only day of the week that I do get to spend with my family was marred slightly by the rotten headache I awoke with that persisted throughout most of the day. I did of course try to make the best of that time as it is rather precious. Modern life affords us far too little time nowadays and time is the only thing in this world that cannot be replaced when it is gone.




A colleague at work who had recently been racking up as much available overtime as was possible had told me on the Friday afternoon that I should get a second job. He went on to explain how having money is good and how being poor is bad (these were his exact words). This particular work colleague has 3 jobs. He has his day job during the week and 2 other weekend jobs. He has a large house and 3 cars to run and maintain so there is no wonder why he needs to work 7 days a week. Personally, I have no need or desire for 3 cars and a massive house that requires me to work every day in order to pay for. The rather obvious point he made about having money I find is rendered moot by a significant portion of his money being used to run 3 cars. Perhaps it is just me but I find this absurd.

Whilst I have never been rich, I have been poor in the past and I have been financially comfortable as well. I know what it is to exist in both states. At present I am in a position where I am able to get by and provide for my family from one payday to the next. As much as I would like my finances to be better I know that this financial situation is not going to change anytime soon but I do know that it will eventually change. I even know when and how it is going to change but at this point it feels like a long way off and it can be a little disheartened at times. Particularly at times like this.

Sunday morning happened and my wife was going to work. The morning was grey and a little chilly. The usual Sunday routine was adhered to. After being led on Twitter to an article from the Guardian newspaper in which the plight of the super rich citizens of the UK was compared to that of those earning what is considered an average wage in the UK based on a report from Forbes. It felt like economic and social oblivion were inevitable but only for average wage earners such as myself.

As the morning turned to afternoon the weather brightened and became somewhat temperate. My son and I went into the garden and spent time playing ball. As we threw a ball back and forth to each other it was remarkable how soothing and calming a ball thrown by my son bouncing on soft grass at my feet on a mild spring afternoon was.

The more I focused on the sound and the motion of the ball the less I was concerned with economic turmoil and my own status within a decaying society. Almost as if each time I threw the ball back to my son a little of my worry and concern went up in the air with it and was carried away on the cool spring breeze. The sound of the ball bouncing in the grass seemed to beat out a relaxing rhythm to inspire a certain serenity and being lulled into a state of well being I thought to myself, perhaps I should buy Everybody's Golf for PlayStation.

No comments:

Post a Comment