Saturday 13 April 2013

Question #10

I really must get down to completing this project. This is possibly the most eagerly awaited blog post ever. More than 5 years in the making. A much discussed and debated topic that has been somewhat divisive within the household from time to time.
The question is simple enough, so what is the problem? Why does it take so long to answer it? Well, if the answer to the question is so simple and easy perhaps the consequences of the answer are equally simple and easy and that's just not the case is it.
So, what is the answer? And what is the question?
Find out after the jump.






O.k. This is fast becoming my least favorite question ever. Do I want to have another child? I have deleted more than I have written at this point so I'm going to keep this as brief as possible.
I have considered whether we have enough time to give to a larger family since our time is limited due to our working patterns. I have considered whether we have sufficient finances to support a larger family as our household income would go down and our expenditure would rise but, these things are basic and not really worth discussing without going into personal circumstances and that would end up going on forever.
Time and finances are something that can be discussed and dealt with elsewhere.

So what's the big deal then? Well, apart from time and finances, only everything else!
Yes. Everything else. In the world. If the decision was only based on the two options then it might be easy but the more information and influential factors you take into account the more difficult the decision becomes.
The main point of concern is the uncertainty of the future. Plans can be made but they can be spoiled just as easily by forces that are not within the realm of your own control and sometimes even when they are in your control it doesn't go according to plan.

I considered going into detail about the economy, the labour market, the tabloid press, the global population, global warming, and other things that I have little to no control or influence over but I will just cut to the chase. The economy and the labour market may or may not improve. It is quite likely that the tabloid press will only ever become more absurd. The global population will rise and global warming may have a devastating effect on that population. This will more than likely occur after my own death and my offspring will be the ones having to deal with it. These and countless other things may or may not occur and you could find yourself regretting a choice you made or cursing an opportunity lost.

The world and life upon it is unpredictable. You can make your choices and plan the path you want your life to take but your choices are half chance just like everybody else's. This, it seems is the very nature of existence in the world. It is only by interstellar, cosmic chance that we are all here on this planet in the first place and I'm concerned about the labour market and opinion polls and what effect they may have on future generations. Uncertainty is the very nature of things. The nature of life on the planet. The only way to be certain of anything is to choose to not be a part of it, to opt out of the uncertainty. That's not what I choose. I'm here by interstellar, cosmic chance and by way of chance I'm afforded the opportunity to choose whether I want to be a part of the world in a teeny, tiny, infinitesimal bit more than I am already. So... Yeah, I'm in.


Just leave you with this to ponder upon.

2 comments:

  1. "It is only by interstellar, cosmic chance that we are all here on this planet in the first place and I'm concerned about the labour market and opinion polls and..." - Steve Wood.

    "I'm so worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow" - Monty Python.

    It's like this really. Does your wife want another child? If the answer is yes and you say no be prepared to suffer for the rest of your life, especially if god forbid something happens to your first born. If the answer is no then WTF? shut up already.

    Your deliberation has nothing to do with traffic light sequences going all to cock making the morning commute 3.75 minutes longer. It has to do with you not wanting to be skint again, have no time again, be in a house that stinks of baby poo and to have all your favourite clothes stained by baby sick. But if your wife wants it then you are screwed. Or she is. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. There was a point but you seem to have missed it. Unfortunately blogger does not have an irony font!
      The point was that in the larger scale of things, being concerned about the small things can be counter productive when it comes to making decisions. The more data factored into an equation, the more complex the equation becomes.
      They may seem irrelevant, you don't know until you take them into account. Now that you mention it though, I am quite concerned about baggage retrieval whenever I fly.
      I thought the time and money part was already quite apparent which was why I only touched upon it briefly but yes, I'm not so keen on being "skint" and having no time.
      Whether future generations are going to be able to find a suitable vocation or whether they will be living under a communist, military dictatorship or in a post war apocalyptic wasteland. It may seem absurd but, to me these are relevant. Perhaps I did not effectively demonstrate that it was only when I took these things out of the equation that the answer became clear but regardless of any decision being made it is still at the mercy of fate.
      Do remember though that this is a personal blog. It is an insight into me personally and I know you're a big fan so stay tuned for the next post which is due very soon. It's the favourite colour one.

      Delete