Sunday 22 September 2013

Question #9

Well, this one seems straight forward enough. What is your favourite colour? Easy, right?
Red. That's the answer. End of blog. Thanks for reading, see you next time.
I don't know why it took so long to get around to posting this. Before I go though, there is just one other thing. No "what" question is complete without asking "why". So let's ask why as well. 
Why is red my favorite colour?


Colour is all around us and is an integral part of our daily lives. We use colour as a tool or as a warning of potential danger. It is universally accepted that red signifies danger while green signifies safety. Red is also considered to be a warm colour while blue is considered cold, white is clean, pink is for a girl, blue is for a boy and mauve is....erm, well, I don't know what mauve is but it's almost as if colour has a personality of its own. Almost.

What colour does have is a frequency of its own. Light consists of an entire frequency spectrum of photons. Only a small part of that spectrum is visible to human eyes. Each frequency/wavelength within the visible spectrum of light is a different colour or variation of a colour. When photons are made to vibrate at a certain frequency they may appear red or blue or any other colour within the visible spectrum. So, what makes something a specific colour? Why is grass green and soil brown? Why are lemons yellow and oranges, orange?
This is because grass will absorb all frequencies of light except green which- reflects away from it, lemons absorb all frequencies of light except yellow and oranges, well... you get the picture.

This is something that I find quite interesting since it is almost as if something is a colour because it isn't that colour. The object will absorb all other colours except the colour that it is.
White absorbs none of them, black absorbs them all. 
In typical fashion though, I'm still not answering the question. Why is red my favorite colour? Red is my favorite colour because that frequency of light is most appealing to me. Which is simple enough but red is red because that is how our eyes and brains perceive that frequency of photons. Not only that but, the way I perceive the frequency of photons that makes my favorite colour is not the same way you will perceive it. 

This means that my favorite colour truly is my favorite colour. Nobody else can see it in the same way that I do. My red is different to your red. Even if it is the exact same frequency. Even if red is your favorite colour too. Your red is your red and my red is mine. That is why red is MY favourite colour and that is why I like this question.


No comments:

Post a Comment